Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sisters are Doing it For Themselves....



One thing to do when you're the lesser-known albeit talented sibling of the biggest pop star in the world is to so thoroughly separate yourself from her that there is no denying the differences between the two. Like many of you, I was just not checking for Solange Knowles. I mean, who cares? *crickets chirping* Sure, I liked that cute little song she did with Lil' Romeo a few years back, but I never really put much thought into her as an artist. Well, when I heard the song and saw this video, she pretty much demands attention.

First off, the video is the most interesting thing I've seen in the format in quite some time. The colors pop, and the visual style is something a bit different from the ever so boring "beaches, rims, and clubs" themes that make so many videos today virtually interchangeable. She's really doing something different here, and it shows. I'm a big fan of the song as well. Unlike some singers who hollowly imitate the soul-sounds of the '60s (note to Ms. Winehouse, your black background singers no longer lend authenticity to your "soul" singing after you've been caught on video smoking crack and singing racist children's songs), she really seems to be feeling it, and I like the visual homage to the different eras.

I've gotten more interested in her stuff the more I hear of it, and since (let's be real) this is an artist who's going to need all the support she can get, I fully plan on buying her CD and even checking her out in concert. Maybe you guys should, too...

No comments: