Monday, July 21, 2008

This is it....



So it's damn near midnight, I'm getting up at 6:30 to hit the gym, and before I go to bed I stumble upon this video on youtube. I watch it at least 5 times before stopping and taking a breath. There is a part of me that can't believe all this is really happening, that a simple guy from Akron, Ohio is about to be on national television and got the opportunity to even compete for something so huge. The part of me that will in some ways always be that overweight little gay boy in high school feels very proud, like I've actually achieved something that most people only dream about. It's a great feeling, and it gives me power, purpose. The feeling in my gut is telling me that things are really about to change. For whatever happens during the course on the show, that guy in the blue shirt is me, and he's a winner. Now that is something to hold onto....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm proud of you rob!
-jane (syr)

Unknown said...

Great job, Rob! Your writings have really inspired me.

Chad

urB'n sKoLa said...

Congrats on the achievement. You're already blowing up. The organization I used to work for (GLAAD)gave you a shout out on one of their blogs(http://glaadorg.nexcess.net/cinequeer/2008/08/diddy-does-diversity.html). Thanks for being a visible black gay man Rob.

-Krys