Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Friendship




One of my fraternity brothers once told me that everybody wants to have good friends, but nobody wants to be a good friend. While I'm not sure whether or not that's true, I know that last night was one of those nights where I really appreciate the friends that I do have. Friends are more important to me than they are to most people because I went through my teenage years and my early 20's as a total loner. For most of my life, I've been either too gay, too black, not black enough, etc., etc. to connect with different people, but it seems like now that I'm comfortable with exactly who I am, more people are noticing and want to be around me. It's a great feeling.

Last night I looked around the room and saw friends who had gathered to support me on one of the biggest nights of my life, and I felt unbelievably humbled and blessed. The premiere party for my silly little reality show was no red-carpet shindig at some fancy club, but I've always been the type to keep things small and intimate. It's crazy to think that only 5 years ago I was barely surviving in a war zone and now I'm on national TV. Life is really something else. I don't know where I'll be 5 years from now or what I'll be doing, but I can only hope that it's something fulfilling and exciting. Things will change now and I'm sure opportunities will come, but if it's not about anything real I couldn't care less. Some people would sell themselves down the river for a taste at fame or for the chance to live a life of luxury that they think leads to happiness, but not me. I prefer to sit here and marvel at the blessings I have in life, starting with each and every person in that picture above.

No comments: